Data Migration Overview
Whether it is HCM, Finance, or Student, the implementation of a Workday system is a major undertaking and data migration is a critical and risky component.
- The data from multiple sources needs to be extracted, consolidated, cleansed, de-duplicated, and transformed before it can be loaded into Workday.
- The data migration process needs to be repeatable, predictable, and execute within a specific time frame.
- Portions of the migrated data need to be reconciled back to the source data after the data is loaded into Workday.
- If there are issues with the data migration, the entire implementation will be delayed or Workday will not function properly.
- If the data converted is not cleansed and standardized, the full functionality and potential Workday has to offer will not be realized.
Data Migration Challenges
There are typically many data obstacles that are encountered during a Workday implementation, each of which increase the risk of project overrun and delay. Typical challenges clients may encounter include:
- High levels of data duplication across disparate legacy systems
- Poorly understood and/or un-documented legacy data usage and customizations
- Unsupported and/or misunderstood legacy systems, both in their functionality and underlying technologies.
- Poor legacy data quality – including missing, inconsistent, and invalid data – which must be identified and corrected prior to load
- Legacy data structures and business requirements which differ drastically from Workday’s
- Frequent specification changes which need to be accounted for within a short time frame
The Applaud Difference
Premier International’s Applaud® Data Migration Services help overcome these challenges. Three key components contribute to Premier’s success:
People: Our services group averages over eight years of experience working with Applaud exclusively on data migration. Management averages 15 years of experience.
Software: Our data migration software, Applaud, was built from the ground up to address the challenges that occur on data migration projects, allowing the team to accomplish all data needs using one integrated product.
Approach: Our RapidTrak methodology helps ensure that the project stays on track. Premier’s approach to data migration projects differs from traditional approaches, decreasing implementation time and reducing the risk of the migration process.
Applaud Eliminates the Risk around Data Migration
- Experienced data migration consultants identify, prevent and resolve issues before they become problems.
- Extraction capabilities can handle raw data from many disparate legacy systems, including mainframe, into Applaud’s data repository. New data sources can be quickly extracted as they are identified.
- Automated profiling on every column in every one of the key legacy tables to assist with the creation of the data conversion requirements based on facts rather than assumptions.
- Powerful data matching engine that quickly identifies duplicate information across any data area including employee, dependent, customer, and supplier records within and across the data landscape.
- Integrated analytics/reporting tools allow deeper legacy data analysis to identify potential data anomalies before they become problems.
- Data cleansing features identify and monitor data issues, allowing development and support of an overall data quality strategy.
- Hundreds of out-of-the-box pre-load validations identify issues within the legacy data and its compliance with Workday configuration prior to the upload into Workday.
- Development accelerators facilitate the building of Workday EIB, Advanced Load and Data Gathering Workbooks (DGW)
- Process that ensures the data conversion throughout the implementation, from the Foundation through the Gold tenant is predictable, repeatable, and highly automated.
- Complete gross-to-net payroll reconciliation process that can be used during the payroll parallel tests allows the client to reconcile every line from every paycheck for every employee down to the penny, presented in a meaningful way to payroll managers.
- Stringent compliance with data security needs ensures PII information remains secure
- Project management methodology ties all the pieces together to decrease the overall data migration effort and reduce the project risk.