After years of expanding and diversifying their portfolio of products and services, one of North America's largest manufacturers of consumer packaged goods initiated a plan to convert its various acquisitions into a single instance of JDE EnterpriseOne (E1). The organization brought on a large consulting firm to aid in managing the project. Premier International was brought in midway through the project to take the burden of the data conversion processes off the plate of the company’s in-house IT personnel.
This study represents the first phase of the project, in which all manufacturing data from various sites across North America was converted from SAP ECC 6.0 to JDE E1.
The overall Data Migration requirements for the initial phase of the Global Manufacturing Acquisition project included:
- The SAP and supplemental data needed to be extracted, consolidated, harmonized, cleansed, and transformed before it could be loaded into a single instance of JDE Enterprise One.
- During the migration, the converted data needed to be reconciled against queries provided by the business. After the migration, the legacy data had to be fully reconciled against what had been loaded into JDE Enterprise One.
- The legacy data needed to be cross referenced against several documents that contained various items & addresses selected and renumbered for conversion.
- Reports needed to be built to assist the business in identifying and applying changes to both SAP and JDE E1 during an extended dual maintenance window.
There were many challenges to making the Data Migration successful. Some of the largest challenges faced and overcome were:
- The SAP source data structure was vastly different from the target JDE data structure. Many supplemental cross references and supporting data extracts were needed.
- The client did not want to provide direct access to the Oracle database housing the SAP data, as out of scope data was housed in the same database. The in-scope data for conversion was copied to a SQL Server database via a data warehousing tool.
“[I] appreciate your help on this project and look forward to future gigs.”
− SVP, Information Systems & Technology
Using Applaud for Data Migration
To help overcome the expected Data Migration challenges, the organization engaged Premier International’s Applaud® Data Migration Services to eliminate the risk from their Data Migration and ensure the overall success of their consolidation project.
Three key components of Premier’s Applaud solution helped navigate the organization through the Data Migration aspect of the project.
- Premier’s Data Migration consultants. Premier’s services group averages more than eight years of experience working with Applaud, exclusively on Data Migration projects.
- Premier’s methodology, which helps ensure the project stays on track. Premier’s EPACTL approach to Data Migration projects is different than traditional ETL approaches. This methodology decreases overall implementation time and reduces the risk of the migration.
- Premier’s Data Migration software, Applaud®. Applaud was built from the ground up to address the challenges that occur on Data Migration projects, allowing the team to accomplish all data needs using one integrated product.
- The data conversion had been previously attempted through the use of SQL scripts. These scripts became the basis of the selection criteria and requirements for the Applaud based conversion routines.
- The organization intentionally shielded their end users from conversion requirement gathering and test cycles. This caused numerous gaps between the conversion results and the users’ expectations.
- The conversion schedule was extremely tight. Mock runs were scheduled every 2 weeks, which did not allow for thorough and complete testing, nor for the testers to request changes based on analyzed test results.
- Risk was added to the Go Live due to the request of a large number of changes during the single week between the final mock run and Go Live, leaving no time for the business to test the changes.
- Used Applaud’s integrated analytics/reporting tools to perform deep analysis on the legacy data to proactively identify legacy data issues.
- Used Applaud’s cleansing tools to standardize, consolidate, correct and enhance data quality as issues were discovered.
- Used Applaud’s data transformation capabilities to build Data Migration processes for each of the 50+ conversion areas.
- Used Applaud’s data transformation capabilities to quickly update the various Data Migration processes when requirement or mapping changes were requested.
- Used Applaud’s built in reporting tools to develop robust and thorough error reporting and handling—proactively identifying failures before loading data to the target JDE E1 tables.
- Used Applaud’s built in reporting tools to develop extensive validation reports to reconcile business data queries to the Applaud converted data.
- Used Applaud’s built in reporting tools to develop extensive reports comparing the target E1 production data with the source SAP production data for use in Dual Maintenance activities.
- Used Premier’s RapidTrak methodology to manage the various conversion interdependencies, decreasing the overall Data Migration effort and reducing project risk.
Using the Applaud Data Migration solution resulted in a successful JDE E1 implementation for the company’s North American sites. The Data Migration team was able to exceed expectations, efficiently taking over the conversion responsibilities from an overwhelmed in-house IT team and bringing the project to a successful on time and under budget Go Live.
Given the volume of last minute logic changes (including changes to data already in Production), it is unlikely that accurate data would have been available in the required timeframe without the Applaud team. By bringing Premier International into the project, the organization greatly decreased their Data Migration risk while notably increasing their data quality.