After years of acquiring various brands and companies, a $11.3B global leader in the beauty industry was left supporting and maintaining dozens of different HR/payroll systems. These systems were administered by a combination of the individual lines of business and outsourced third party administrators (TPAs). To increase productivity, improve customer service, and leverage resources across their entire enterprise, the organization initiated a multi-year Global HR Transformation project.
This study represents the largest phase of the implementation, encompassing the consolidation of the organization’s 22 EMEA business units and brands into a single instance of Oracle HCM.
The overall Data Migration requirements for this phase of the Global HR Transformation were:
- The data from 22 distinct and separate HR/payroll systems needed to be extracted, consolidated, harmonized, cleansed, and transformed before it could be loaded into a single instance of Oracle HCM.
- The Data Migration process needed to handle duplicate employees both within and across disparate legacy systems to only convert the most recent (“Top of Stack”) employment history.
- The conversion needed to correctly transform and consolidate data from 22 different systems to a standardized Oracle data model for all key fields.
- The conversion required complex logic to assign supervisor IDs for all employees and accommodate various levels of data integrity and quality issues.
There were many obstacles to making the Data Migration successful. Some of the largest challenges were:
- Many of the databases underlying the disparate legacy HR systems were outdated, unsupported and/or highly customized.
- Several of the legacy systems had poor data quality, with a high instance of missing, inconsistent, and invalid data.
- The level of data duplication across the disparate legacy HR systems was high.
- Data extract files provided by the business and TPAs proved to be highly inconsistent, both in structure and in content, from one iteration to the next.
- The data structures of the various legacy systems were drastically different from the target Oracle HCM data structure.
- Due to the high number of legacy systems and the tight cutover timeframe, the schedule did not allow for the Oracle HCM load programs to identify issues that would cause a record to fail; data quality issues needed to be found and addressed early in the process to ensure no data was lost.
“Fantastic job! A huge amount of effort very much appreciated! Thank you.”
— HR Transformation Deployment Lead [UK / EMEA]
Using Applaud for Data Migration
To help overcome the expected Data Migration challenges, the organization engaged Premier International’s Applaud® Data Migration Services to eliminate the risk from their Data Migration and ensure the overall success of their Global HR Transformation.
Three key components of Premier’s Applaud solution helped navigate the organization through the Data Migration aspect of the project.
- The first component is Premier’s Data Migration consultants. Premier’s services group averages more than eight years of experience working with Applaud, exclusively on Data Migration projects.
- The second component is Premier’s methodology, which helps ensure the project stays on track. Premier’s EPACTL approach to Data Migration projects is different than traditional ETL approaches. This methodology decreases overall implementation time and reduces the risk of the migration.
- The third component is Premier’s Data Migration software, Applaud®. Applaud was built from the ground up to address the challenges that occur on Data Migration projects, allowing the team to accomplish all data needs using one integrated product.
The combined aspects of the Applaud solution were leveraged to meet the challenges of the Global HR Transformation project.
- Using Applaud’s robust, automated analytic capabilities to identify and report the high volume of data inconsistency between the disparate legacy data extracts provided by the business and the TPAs
- Using Applaud’s integrated analytics/reporting tools to perform deeper analysis on the legacy data to proactively identify legacy data issues
- Using Applaud’s automated profiling to uncover data facts for every field / source and assist with the creation of the data conversion requirements
- Using Applaud’s cleansing tools to standardize, consolidate, correct and enhance data quality as issues were discovered
- Using Applaud’s powerful data matching engine to identify and handle duplicate employee / dependent data by applying “Top of Stack” logic within and across the various legacy systems
- Using Applaud’s data transformation capabilities to quickly build easily repeatable Data Migration processes for each of the 22 legacy systems being converted
- Using Applaud’s built in reporting tools to quickly develop robust and thorough error handling—before even loading the target Oracle HCM tables
- Using the RapidTrak methodology to tie all the pieces together, decreasing the overall Data Migration effort and reducing project risk
Using the Applaud Data Migration solution resulted in a successful Oracle HCM implementation for the organization’s EMEA countries. The Data Migration team was able to exceed expectations, facilitating a smooth and uneventful Go-Live and bringing the project in on time and on budget. Given the volume of data extracts and the scope of data quality issues, it is unlikely everything would have completed in the required timeframe without the Applaud Data Migration team. Additionally, the project managed to go live with very few test cycles due to the work done up front to develop requirements based on facts, not assumptions, and proactively identify and address quality issues. By bringing Premier into the project, the organization eliminated their Data Migration risk while establishing confidence in the quality of their converted data.