Premier International is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to help accelerate the growth and success of our firm.
Recently awarded one of Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago®, Premier International is a privately held software and technology consulting firm headquartered in downtown Chicago, serving large enterprise consulting and Fortune 500 firms deploying large-scale systems implementations. Premier's software team is focused on developing and maintaining a suite of Windows-based programming tools used by the consulting practice for data migration and data quality projects. This suite includes a proprietary software tool, similar to an ETL tool coupled with an internal database, a procedural programming language, and additional reporting capabilities. The suite also includes several command-line and supplemental cloud utilities.
Primary responsibilities for this role will include but not be limited to:
- Work at the direction of the Director of Software Engineering to develop a new user interface for a legacy software product including documentation, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Collaborate with the software team to refine requirements and the new design, to redesign interfaces between the back and front ends of the application, and to assist in the implementation of new features, enhancements, and bug fixes.
- Recommend alternatives and best practices for integrating C# with C++ and COBOL.
- Develop, document, enhance, maintain, and test the GUI.
- Perform troubleshooting to support end users.
- Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned such as assisting with the development and maintenance of a suite of web services utilities.
- This is not a management role, though some coaching and mentoring is expected.
Note: The responsibilities for this position could expand to include other duties based on the needs of the company and the skills of the candidate.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have several years of experience with Windows application development, strong knowledge of the C# language and experience designing and developing user interfaces, in order to assist us in migrating a large application in our suite away from a legacy Visual Basic 6GUI. The immediate role will entail heavy collaboration, both in reviewing today's interface in order to establish requirements and in distilling those requirements into a new interface that is both intuitive to existing users and more modern. Moving forward, this individual's primary charge will be developing the interface. This individual may also be tasked with maintenance of several cloud utilities that work with specific vendor web services. This role will be central to our modernization plans and shaping the future of our software platform.
*This project is not about building a new application from scratch. It is closer to an application remodeling project.
Required Technical Qualifications
- 5-7 years of experience in MS Visual Studio, C# Programming, .NET Framework, and API Programming in the context of Windows desktop applications.
- Experience with GUI design using WinForms.
- Experience with multi-language development.
- Experience with C++ and Visual Basic 6.
- Experience with ODBC connectivity and an understanding of SQL.
- Experience with multi-threading.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and sense of ownership.
- Desire to go above and beyond.
- Ability to collaborate daily in a team environment where member shave different skill sets
- A positive attitude with accompanying behavior.
- Exemplary technical problem-solving skills.
- Strong fundamentals within coding technologies and a willingness to wear multiple hats when needed.
- A passion for technology, both inside and outside the workplace.
- BS/BA in computer science or related discipline or equivalent software engineering work experience in lieu of degree.
- Authorization to work in the US without support for a work visa.
Note: This is a very specific role for an immediate need. We will not consider individuals whose resumes do not strongly reflect the desired qualifications listed above.
Skills to Set You Apart
- MVC or MVVM
- JSON and XML
- REST/SOAP Web Services
- MS Team Foundation Server or Azure DevOps
- Microsoft Access
- Data Analysis
In return you will have access to...
- Highly competitive compensation with annual bonus incentive
- 401K plan with company match
- 100% company paid individual health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage
- Four weeks of paid vacation
- Eight company paid holidays
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- Employee referral bonuses
- And so much more at one of Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago®
Premier is an EEO/AAP employer.