Premier International is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to help accelerate the growth and success of our firm.
Recently awarded one of Chicago’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For®, Premier International is a privately held software and technology consulting firm headquartered in downtown Chicago, serving large enterprise consulting and Fortune 500 firms deploying large-scale systems implementations.Premier's software team is focused on developing and maintaining a suite of Windows-based programming tools used by the consulting practice for data migration and data quality projects. This suite includes a proprietary software tool, similar to an ETL tool coupled with an internal database, a procedural programming language, and additional reporting capabilities. The suite also includes several command-line and supplemental cloud utilities.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in COBOL and a solid understanding of C++ to assist in enhancing and maintaining our primary software product. Premier’s COBOL codebase is extremely complex and unique,involving over a hundred thousand lines of code, shared memory between languages as well as memory pointers. This role will help modernize and shape the future of our software platform.
Primary responsibilities for this role will include but not be limited to:
- Developing a working understanding of a large COBOL codebase as well as the larger application architecture.
- Implementing new features, enhancements, and bug fixes at the direction of the Manager of Software Engineering.
- Producing high quality code while being efficient with time and addressing technical debt.
- Analyzing large, complex processes and identify performance bottlenecks, application bugs, and opportunities to improve efficiency.
- Vocalizing ideas and collaborating with the software team on the ongoing development of the product.
- Balancing priorities with a commitment to going above and beyond.
- Performing troubleshooting to support end users.
- Supporting ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned.
Note: The responsibilities for this position could expand to include other duties based on the needs of the company and the skills of the candidate.
Requirements for the role:
- Minimum of 7 years of Windows or z/OS COBOL experience
- Working knowledge of C++
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic and sense of ownership
- Positive attitude
- Exemplary technical problem-solving skills
- Ability to read and understand pre-existing codebases
- A passion for technology, both inside and outside the workplace
- Familiarity and past success with multi-language development
- Experience with ODBC connectivity and an understanding of SQL
- Experience with PowerGREP or equivalent a bonus
- Knowledge of PowerShell a bonus
- BS/BA in computer science or related discipline or equivalent software engineering work experience in lieu of degree
- Must reside in the Chicagoland area and willing to work out of the office in the Chicago loop.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- We do not sponsor work visas.
In return you will have access to:
- Highly competitive compensation with annual bonus incentive
- 401K plan with company match
- 100% company paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage for employee
- Four weeks of paid vacation
- Eight company paid holidays
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- Employee referral bonuses
- And so much more at one of Chicago’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For®!
Premier is an EEO/AAP employer.